Whether you want a vegan alternative to scrambled eggs and tofu just isn’t cutting it, or you just simply want to change things up in your morning routine, this simple recipe is sure to become a go-to!
The star of this meal are chickpeas! Not only are they packed with tons of vitamins, minerals, and fiber, but they also provide you with a significant amount of protein! That protein will keep you full and satisfied as you take on the day!
Chickpeas also have a very low glycemic index, which is great for keeping your blood sugar under control.
The soluble fiber in chickpeas is great for digestion and keeps the good bacteria in your gut alive and growing!
Did we also mention how affordable chickpeas are?
But enough bragging about these little guys, let them show you what they’re really made of by trying this recipe!
- 1.5 cups chickpeas, rinsed + dried(make sure they’re really well rinsed, this will help reduce gas you might get when consuming beans)
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup red pepper
- 2.5 TBSP nutritional yeast (a fabulous cheesy alternative)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- a dash of black pepper (helps with absorption of turmeric!)
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp salt (add more to taste)
- Place chickpeas in a bowl and mash them into a fine consistency
- Chop the pepper into desired cube size and then chop spinach
- Heat a nonstick frying pan. Add chickpeas, pepper, spinach, nutritional yeast, all seasonings, and 3 TBSP of water. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until peppers soften. Add additional 1-2 TSBP of water to cook and add additional salt to taste if needed.
- Serve and enjoy!