February is perhaps best known for the greeting card holiday that falls mid-month, but the entire month is actually dedicated to heart health, and that deserves more attention! Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women. A lot of what damages your heart has to do with what you eat. So here you have a heart healthy recipe that you can enjoy solo or with your sweetheart!
What makes it heart healthy? The avocado is high monounsaturated fat, the healthy fat that lowers cholesterol. Avocados are also high in antioxidants and potassium!
- 1 large avocado
- 4 Tbsp of cacao powder, or more to taste
- 3 Tbsp of your fave nut milk or water works fine too!
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medjool dates, or you can sup for 1 Tbsp of stevia or coconut sugar
- Place all ingredients in a blender. Pulse until smooth, wiping down the sides and stirring as needed. Add your sweetener bit by bit so it’s to your taste. You can always add more, but you can’t take any out once it’s mixed in!
- Place into a bowl and chill until ready to serve enjoy right away!
To make it even more heart health, top it with some blueberries. Blueberries are full of antioxidants like flavonoids and anthocyanin, that can decrease blood pressure and dilate blood vessels. Pomegranates are also great and filled with antioxidants that may help stave off hardening of arteries. However you choose to make it, enjoy this delicious dessert and help you heart at the same time!